Be a hero this month and adopt a dog from your local shelter or rescue group. An estimated 3.5 million animals are waiting in shelters for their forever home.
So, You Want to Adopt a Dog?
Bringing a new pet into your family will make an impact on your life. But as fun as it may seem, taking care of an animal is a full-time job. If you decide you want to adopt a dog, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Let’s review the pros and cons below.
- More affordable– Adopting a dog is expensive but a pure breed is even pricier. Adopting from your local shelter is not only an act of kindness but could save you a lot of money.
- Lots of options– Looking for a puppy, an older dog, or something in the middle? Local shelters usually have every option.
- Saving a life– Rescuing a dog will open your eyes to the severe problem of animal neglect and abandonment. You will never feel indifferent towards a stray dog again.
- Loneliness– Shelter dogs live in close quarters with many other dogs. You may have to give your new friend time to adjust to being in their new environment.
- Possessiveness– Shelter dogs share food and living resources which may lead them to develop possessive habits.
- Unknown breed– Most shelter and rescue dogs are mixed. If looks are important to you, adopting might not be the best option.
Adopt From a Local Shelter
If you are looking to adopt a furry friend of your own, start by searching at local shelters like the three listed below.
The Humane Society of North Central Florida is our community’s leading resource for pets and pet owners. Their mission is to eliminate the needless euthanasia of healthy and treatable pets in North Central Florida.
Faithful Friends Pet Rescue and Rehoming, Inc is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue and rehoming of dogs and cats in Gainesville, FL, and surrounding communities. They pride themselves on being family-friendly, all-volunteer-run, and inclusive.
Alachua County Florida
View the adorable adoptable pets in Alachua County by exploring the website below or by visiting the Alachua County Animal Service facility.
Mental Health Benefits
Studies show that dogs help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by encouraging movement and improving your overall health. They also act as a great source of structure in your day-to-day life. Need to make a human friend? A pet is also a great conversation starter!
Become a Pet Therapy Volunteer
Already have a furry friend? Consider participating in a therapy program.
Foster a Dog
Have you been missing a furry friend in your life but aren’t ready to adopt? Consider becoming a foster home!
Unable to volunteer your home or time? Consider contributing to a shelter’s wish list.
Share Your Adoption Story!
More Blog Posts
June 2023: Pride Month
Celebrate Pride Month this June by embracing the vibrant LGBTQ+ community. It’s a time to honor diverse identities and take pride in being true to…
Food for Thought – (6/5/2023)
Finding time to prepare healthy meals can be challenging in our fast-paced world. The solution? Meal prep! Meal prep is a practice that involves…
Food for Thought – (5/30/2023)
June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness MonthThis is a time dedicated to raising awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and other brain-related…