28 days of ab-blasting, water bottle-filling fun! Registration is now open!
How does this challenge work?
- Participants will register for the challenge by filling out the pre-survey. Important reminders and materials will be emailed directly to you throughout the challenge.
- Please note: all materials will be accessible throughout the challenge on this page!
- Download or print the plank calendar you plan to follow throughout the month of July. You are welcome to use both; there are no restrictions!
- Instead of using Walker Tracker, we’ll use a paper self-tracker to track daily water intake and plank times. You’ll use a weekly Qualtrics form to self-report those metrics by the following Monday at noon! Be sure to submit all four trackers for a chance to win the golden water bottle trophy!
Plank With Us Live!
On Mondays at 11:30am during the Plank & Drank challenge, join the GatorCare team and your coworkers throughout UF and UF Health to plank together! We’ll plank for the recommended time on the calendar and demonstrate the week’s challenge planks. Recordings will be posted here so you can review challenge plank forms, if needed. Click the button below to register!
Missed the live plank? View the recordings here!
Text Message Reminders
Receive reminders to plank and hydrate straight to your phone by registering for the Plank & Drank Challenge in Remind 101. Download the app or text @plank2020 to 81010 to join!
Why should I participate?
About 60% of our bodies are made up of water. No wonder we need it!
Drinking enough water:
- Maintains your body’s fluid balance, which regulates normal functioning like digestion and body temperature
- Fuels your muscles, lubricates your joints and gives you energy
- Improves your focus and promotes clearer thinking
- Makes you feel fuller, which can aid with weight loss
- The best indicator of your hydration is the color of your urine. View this chart to learn more!
What about planking?
Planking is a static core exercise that has many benefits:
- Strengthens your core muscles, which leads to better stability and performance of daily activities like sitting, picking up objects, etc.
- Helps reduce back pain by strengthening your back muscles
- Improves your mood by releasing “feel good” endorphins- ALL exercises do this!
- Improves your posture and balance
- You can plank from your hands or forearms!
- Maintain hands or elbows directly underneath the shoulders.
- Never clasp your hands when performing a plank.
- Keep spine straight and head neutral (eyes forward, not looking up or down).
Shout out to our leaders at UF and UF Health who are helping support the Plank & Drank Challenge by showing off their own plank skills!
President, University of Florida
Senior Vice President for Health Affairs at the University of Florida and President of UF Health
Interim Dean, College of Medicine
Chief Executive Officer, UF Health Shands
2019 Winner: Jodian Blake
2018 Winner: Jill Sutton
2017 Winners: Wetty or Not Here We Come
2016 Winners: Team ReegRat