Eating healthy on vacation can seem like a daunting task, especially when you have found yourself immersed in a new culture and you want to experience all the local cuisines. Nevertheless, you can still incorporate healthy eating habits while on vacation without feeling like you are sacrificing the experience! Check out the tips below to learn more:
- Research restaurants ahead of arriving if you plan on dining out.
- If you have access to a kitchen, opt to cook one healthy meal during your trip.
- Pack fruit and other healthy snacks (celery, granola bars, peanut butter, etc.) to munch on during the day. DIY snacks can save you money and are healthier than store bought/vending machine granola bars.
- Stay hydrated by using a reusable water bottle.
- Pro Tip: Be aware of food safety and water sources when traveling abroad. Consider buying bottled water if it is not safe to drink tap water.
- Staying in a hotel? Try opting for the healthier options at the continental breakfast (boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, fruit, oatmeal, etc.).
- Be mindful of your alcohol consumption and the impending liquid calories and potential hangover they bring.
- Drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage consumed and avoid drinking on an empty stomach!