GatorCare has resources for preventing the onset of diabetes and managing your condition if you are already diagnosed.
Diabetes Testing Supplies at No Cost to You!
REGISTRATION NOW AVAILABLE!
All GatorCare members diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes are eligible to receive a True Metrix glucometer and testing supplies every 90 days AT NO COST!
To become eligible, members will need to complete a short online education module.
- Visit myTraining and either sign in with your employee credentials or create an account if you are not a UF or UF Health employee or do not have a GatorLink account. If you are logging in with your GatorLink credentials, select University of Florida when prompted. Click here for instructions on how to create an account.
- Access the module by clicking here and signing in or searching True Metrix on the myTraining site.
- At the end of the module you will be asked to follow a link to the enrollment form to input your information. This must be completed to receive the True Metrix glucometer and testing supplies.
- After the form, you will be prompted to complete a voluntary consent form allowing GatorCare access to A1C and BMI values from your electronic medical record. This information will help us to evaluate the success of this pilot program and continue offering this special benefit.
- Have your doctor send over a prescription for True Metrix meter and supplies to UF Health Pharmacy – Medical Plaza, 352.265.8270.
- You must call the pharmacy to indicate whether you will pick up the prescription or have it mailed to you. Verify the pharmacy has the correct mailing address on file.
- When ready for a refill, call the pharmacy to refill the prescription.
Have any questions? Visit our FAQ page for more information.
2019 Diabetes Self-Management Education (Gainesville)
Starting January 1, 2019, the Tier 1 Deductible will be waived for Gainesville GatorCare members receiving Diabetes Self-Management Education through the UF Health Shands Diabetes Education and Nutrition Department.
Coinsurance still applies. Healthy Rewards HRA/HSA compatible plans are not eligible for this benefit.
Managing your Condition
Enroll in GatorCare’s inControl diabetes program
Get ‘in control’ of your diabetes! Participate in this program to learn how to slow the progression of diabetes through proper nutrition, exercise, stress management, and medication. Develop healthy behaviors in a supportive environment to prevent potential complications and engage with your providers to ensure proper management.
Jacksonville: Contact your Jacksonville GatorCare Wellness Coordinator for more information and to determine your eligibility.
Receive formal diabetes education
Learn how to manage your condition with glucose monitoring, nutrition, medication management, skin/foot/dental care, and lifestyle modifications. Even if you have received diabetes education in the past, you are eligible for a refresher course each year. For more information contact:
- Gainesville: Call 352.265.8548
- Jacksonville: Call 904.244.7595 or visit the Jacksonville Diabetes Education website (must be on the Intranet)
Talk to a Health Coach
Receive free telephonic health coaching using the Health Dialog program through Florida Blue at 1-877-789-2583. The health coaches can refer eligible members into disease management programs when applicable.
To enroll in a FREE Florida Blue Diabetes condition management program, call 1-800-955-5692.
Find out if you are at risk for developing Type I diabetes
The TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes Research Group at the University of Florida is screening relatives of people with Type 1 diabetes, as part of research, to find out if these family members are at risk for developing diabetes. A simple blood test could detect an increased risk for type 1 diabetes up to 10 years before symptoms appear. You may be eligible to join research studies that are testing ways to prevent or delay Type I Diabetes.
Who can participate?
- First-degree relatives (children, siblings, parents) of people with type I diabetes between the ages of 1-45.
- Second-degree relatives (aunts/uncles, cousins, nieces/nephews, grandchildren, half-siblings) of people with type I diabetes between the ages of 1-20.
If interested, please contact Jennifer Hosford at 352-294-5759 or toll free at 877-343-2377. You can also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get More Information Online
Visit the American Diabetes Association for more information on living with diabetes, treatment options, medications, recipes and more! The ADA can also answer any of your diabetes questions over the phone at 1-800-DIABETES or online with their online chat feature.