Even though vacation is the ideal time for R&R – rest and relaxation, traveling can be stressful for multiple different reasons. It is just as important to maintain a self-care routine on vacation as it is during your usual, everyday life. Check out the tips below to learn more:
- Create a dark sleep place to promote healthy sleep hygiene. This can be anything from purchasing a sleep mask or stuffing a towel under the door to prevent excess light from coming in.
- Because traveling can be stressful, try carrying around a few aromatherapy bottles (TSA friendly) to use when you feel you the need to relax or want to promote a good night’s rest.
- Feeling overwhelmed when traveling to a new environment is normal. Carry a journal when you feel the need to unplug from the world and need downtime for thought processing.
- If you are traveling with a group of people, find solo time for your self-care. Have patience, and be honest with your travel companions about why self-care/alone time is important for you.
- Create a traveling kit with the essentials so you can practice self-care every step of the way. Include items like lip balms, hand sanitizers, wet wipes, a neck pillow, noise-cancelling headphones, socks, moisturizer, vitamin supplements and probiotics, and coloring books.
- Use your phone – for meditation! Find a quiet space and follow a 5-minute or 10-minute meditation to recharge your mind and body.